5 Top Mix Engineers You Should Know in POP Music!
Here are some of the Top Engineers mixing POP music today. If you don’t know these guys, that’s fine. That’s why we decided to do this post, to familiarize our guests and members on the subject. Off the bat, I want to make it clear, I am very aware that these engineers mix many, many genres. By no means are we saying with this article that these engineers only mix pop. We decided to include these engineers in this category because they’ve either mixed some of the most recent pop hits or they’ve worked with some of the genre’s biggest artists. Here are 5, (not necessarily the top 5 ) engineers you really should find out more information about if you don’t already know them. We hope this article helps.
Mix Engineer Tony Maserati is a mainstay at the AES conferences, and very well known in the Audio Engineer industry. You may have even used his Maserati Plugin bundle from Waves Audio. As a record producer and Engineer you’ll know him from mixing POP giants such as Jason Mraz, Mariah Carey and Beyonce’s #1 single “Crazy in Love.” Maserati is very well known for his mixes in the R&B and Hip Hop category, and is credited with defining the sound of New York Hip Hop & R&B. It’s also interesting to note that he’s a Berklee College of Music grad.
Probably one of the most credited Mix Engineers today, you’ll see Serban Ghanea’s name on some of the biggest hits in music. Tracks from Katy Perry, Maroon 5 and Taylor Swift. He’s a 5 time Grammy Award winning and 3 time Latin Grammy Award winning Engineer. The funny thing is, you can almost call Serban the “King of the #1 single”. If it’s #1 today in pop, there’s a pretty good chance it’s been mixed by Serban. From what I’ve seen, he’s still based in his own studio in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Spike Stent is a well know mix engineer in the rock genre, so you might wonder why he’s included in the POP category. Well he’s been really influential here as well and here’s why. You may know his pop work from artists such as Madonna, U2 and No Doubt. For me, he’s most famous for his work on Nirvana’s seminal album “Nevermind” but he’s mixed on gumball pop albums like Spice Girls “Spiceworld” and Pink’s “Funhouse”. Spike’s sound is so desired, Waves Audio has attempted to Clone Spike’s desk in plugin form, that’s how influential his mixing has been across his career. One of the most amazing facts about Spike is that at the 53rd Grammy’s he was nominated across 5 categories for mixing. He was nominated for POP with Lady Gaga, Rock with Muse, R&B with Usher and Dance with Goldfrapp. Definitely take the time to learn more about Spike Stent and his amazing career.
According to Jimmy’s own website jimmydouglass.com he’s a four time Grammy winning mix engineer and known well as “The Senator”. His career dates back to the 1970’s and he’s worked with artists such as Aaliyah, Justin Timberlake and The Rolling Stones. Like many of the other engineers on the list he’s mixed and produced across a myriad of genres and his career has spanned more than 4 decades. I’ve heard his advice firsthand at various AES conferences, so that a great place to see and hear from Jimmy Douglass directly. He’s really well known for genre bending, in particular bringing different sounds to conventional genres and making it work. He’s made a career of breaking down walls in the music industry, and he’s definitely an example of an engineer to learn from.
This is one of the industry’s legends. Bruce is most known for his work with Quincy Jones, and his groundbreaking work on the “Thriller” album by Michael Jackson. Check out his website www.inthestudiowithbruceswedien.com. He also has a book by the same name where he details his work on some of the most legendary sessions in music history. He offers workshops which is a rarity in the industry, so that’s interesting for a lot of the engineers who’d be interested in learning from a legend. Other than Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones, he’s also worked with artists such as Mick Jagger, Dizzy Gillespie, and Paul McCartney. With all this major work, he’s most certainly a Grammy winner (5 times over, with many more nominations). Bruce is another one of those engineers who continues to teach to this day, and has run master classes for the AES, as well as, universities all over the world. Here's a spot in our Forum where we highlighted some of Bruce's work, check out the videos.
**What are your views on these Mix Engineers and some of the other top engineers in this genre? Let us know in the Forum**
mixrevu.com audio blog
- 17/04/17 April 2017 Pop Mix Audio Engineer Head2Head
- 17/02/12 February 2017 Heavy Metal Mix Head2Head!
- 16/12/06 2016 December Mix Head2Head
- 16/12/06 Top Christmas Holiday Gifts For Audio Engineers
- 16/10/16 Top 10 Social Media Audio Engineers MUST Follow
- 16/09/21 2016 October Mix Head2Head
- 16/09/21 5 Ways To Make Money With Your Recording Studio.
- 16/07/03 2016 July Mix Head2Head!
- 16/03/21 BRAND NEW March 2016 Mix Head2Head
- 16/01/17 2016 January Mix Head2Head!
- 15/11/14 2015 Holiday Mix Head2Head 2015!
- 15/09/21 Which File Sharing Service is Best For Pro Audio?
- 15/09/18 September 2015 Mix Head2Head Is Here!
- 15/06/29 Membership Appreciation 2015 is HERE!
- 15/05/14 Mix Hip Hop in Our New May Audio Engineer Contest!
- 15/04/12 Mick Guzauski - 30 Min. with a Mix Engineer Legend
- 15/03/09 Death Metal & Film Score! Multitrack Downloads!
- 15/02/12 How To Create A Hit Song -Statistics of A Hit Song
- 15/02/06 Brand New Download Mix Head2Head - Country!
- 15/01/22 Your Mix Reference List Needs An Overhaul!
- 15/01/02 2015 New Year = New Music Mixes To Download!
- 14/11/26 QUIZ: Were You Born To Be An Audio Engineer?
- 14/11/13 HOLIDAY FREE MIX DOWNLOAD
- 14/11/03 5 Tools To Perfect Podcast Audio
- 14/10/18 A.E.S 137TH Convention PHOTO TOUR! - Los Angeles
- 14/09/19 Troubleshooting in the Recording Studio
- 14/08/16 How to Lose Clients As A Freelance Audio Engineer
- 14/07/30 5 Top Mix Engineers in Film Audio Post Production!
- 14/07/23 5 Top Mix Engineers in Classical or Jazz Music!
- 14/07/16 5 Top Mix Engineers You Should Know in Rock! (+2)
- 14/07/05 5 Top Mix Engineers U Should Know in Country Music
- 14/06/29 5 Top Mix Engineers You Should Know in Hip Hop!
- 14/06/22 5 Top Mix Engineers You Should Know in POP Music!
- 14/06/08 Plugins We ❤ By The Function! (Reverb)
- 14/05/31 Plugins We ❤ By The Function! (Time-Delay)
- 14/05/17 MEMBERSHIP APPRECIATION MONTH IN JUNE 2014!!
- 14/05/10 Plugins We ❤ By The Function! (Compression)
- 14/05/03 Plugins We ❤ By The Function! (EQ)
- 14/04/26 Top 5 Ways 2 Get the Most Out of an AES Convention
- 14/04/12 10 Signs You Studied Music Technology In College!
- 14/04/07 NAME THAT MIC - Celebrity Microphone Trivia!
- 14/03/28 Top 10 Skills All Audio Engineer Students Need!