How To Create A Hit Song -Statistics of A Hit Song
Ever wonder if there's a formula to making a Hit Record? How do songwriters like Diane Warren, Max Martin, and The Dream create hit after hit after hit? Well, there's only one way to become one of the great songwriters of our time. Write a bunch of terrible songs until you write a good one!
There are some statistical similarities when you evaluate the data behind hit records over a long period of time. If you take the data accumulated of the top 40 hit songs over the past 50 years; statisticians have found a few things that continuously appear. We've organized some of their readily available research into one easily shareable infographic. Below are what we found were the most helpful items on the lists of things that are the most consistent in popular hit records. I'm sure you're already asking, "What about different genres?". These stats were derived from pop music hits. This includes all of the near/ancillary genres such as; pop-country, r&b, Hip pop, pop-rock, adult- contemporary etc. These stats would not be as helpful for genres such as jazz, classical, or international genres. All stats were derived based on American & European versions of the above genres. I'm sure your next question is "How do I know these facts are legit?" At the bottom of this article we've listed our sources for the findings and these are all independent from mixrevu.com. We've just organized them in this handy infographic. Your last question may be something to the affect of "Why would I want to copy what's been done? Originality makes music more interesting!". We agree! This How To Create A Hit Song Infographic is here to get you started on understanding the things that hit songs (even across genres i.e. pop-rock, r&b) have in common. It's possible to take similarities from here and incorporate them into your current songwriting to help make your music more "listener friendly", i.e. that diminished 5th may be a little too "out of the norm" for what hit songs call for .
One thing you'll ultimately notice that isn't on the chart is that the most popular songwriting usually a) keeps it simple b) is easily relateble c) lends itself to singing along and d) is in a binary time signature. For the rest of the keys to creating a hit song; check out the infographic below! Cheers!
***What other elements do you commonly find in hit songs of popular genres? Let us know in the Forum!***
1. Hook Theory Blog 2. The scientific formula for predicting a hit song. 3. No. 1 Summer Hit Stats. 4. 5 things you won't believe math can predict. 5. Predicting Popularity: The Math Behind A Hit Record. 6. The Science of A Pop Song. 7. Mathematical Equation Predicts Hits and Flops. 8. Pop Goes The Algorithm. 9. How Big Data Can Predict Music Superstars. 10. Hit songs Deconstructed Trend Report. 11. Experimental Study of Inequality and Unpredictability in an Artificial Cultural Market.
mixrevu.com audio blog
- 17/10/22 The Albums That Made Me Want To Audio Engineer
- 17/08/06 August 2017 Jazz Fusion Mix Head2Head Is Up!
- 17/04/17 April 2017 Pop Mix Audio Engineer Head2Head
- 17/02/12 February 2017 Heavy Metal Mix Head2Head!
- 16/12/06 2016 December Mix Head2Head
- 16/12/06 Top Christmas Holiday Gifts For Audio Engineers
- 16/10/16 Top 10 Social Media Audio Engineers MUST Follow
- 16/09/21 2016 October Mix Head2Head
- 16/09/21 5 Ways To Make Money With Your Recording Studio.
- 16/07/03 2016 July Mix Head2Head!
- 16/03/21 BRAND NEW March 2016 Mix Head2Head
- 16/01/17 2016 January Mix Head2Head!
- 15/11/14 2015 Holiday Mix Head2Head 2015!
- 15/09/21 Which File Sharing Service is Best For Pro Audio?
- 15/09/18 September 2015 Mix Head2Head Is Here!
- 15/06/29 Membership Appreciation 2015 is HERE!
- 15/05/14 Mix Hip Hop in Our New May Audio Engineer Contest!
- 15/04/12 Mick Guzauski - 30 Min. with a Mix Engineer Legend
- 15/03/09 Death Metal & Film Score! Multitrack Downloads!
- 15/02/12 How To Create A Hit Song -Statistics of A Hit Song
- 15/02/06 Brand New Download Mix Head2Head - Country!
- 15/01/22 Your Mix Reference List Needs An Overhaul!
- 15/01/02 2015 New Year = New Music Mixes To Download!
- 14/11/26 QUIZ: Were You Born To Be An Audio Engineer?
- 14/11/13 HOLIDAY FREE MIX DOWNLOAD
- 14/11/03 5 Tools To Perfect Podcast Audio
- 14/10/18 A.E.S 137TH Convention PHOTO TOUR! - Los Angeles
- 14/09/19 Troubleshooting in the Recording Studio
- 14/08/16 How to Lose Clients As A Freelance Audio Engineer
- 14/07/30 5 Top Mix Engineers in Film Audio Post Production!
- 14/07/23 5 Top Mix Engineers in Classical or Jazz Music!
- 14/07/16 5 Top Mix Engineers You Should Know in Rock! (+2)
- 14/07/05 5 Top Mix Engineers U Should Know in Country Music
- 14/06/29 5 Top Mix Engineers You Should Know in Hip Hop!
- 14/06/22 5 Top Mix Engineers You Should Know in POP Music!
- 14/06/08 Plugins We ❤ By The Function! (Reverb)
- 14/05/31 Plugins We ❤ By The Function! (Time-Delay)
- 14/05/17 MEMBERSHIP APPRECIATION MONTH IN JUNE 2014!!
- 14/05/10 Plugins We ❤ By The Function! (Compression)
- 14/05/03 Plugins We ❤ By The Function! (EQ)
- 14/04/26 Top 5 Ways 2 Get the Most Out of an AES Convention
- 14/04/12 10 Signs You Studied Music Technology In College!
- 14/04/07 NAME THAT MIC - Celebrity Microphone Trivia!
- 14/03/28 Top 10 Skills All Audio Engineer Students Need!